Mute your zoning committee Zoom and grab your notepad: Denverite is hiring a reporter. We’re looking for someone who is conversant in urban growth issues, has experience connecting those issues to, you know, humans, and has a fast-paced news metabolism to help cover our rapidly changing city.
What are the responsibilities?
The reporter will be responsible for daily news coverage exploring, uncovering and explaining issues related to growth in and around the city of Denver. This includes the ways people experience the city changing around them, such as cost of living, transportation issues and quality of life factors. It also includes bigger-picture looks at who feels like they can live and thrive in Denver, how the city is designing its future self and how it’s facing the most pressing issues of the day, from (as it turns out) historic inequities to pandemics.
This is a daily reporting job that is part of a curious, compassionate team, and all Denverite reporters should find opportunities for both impact-oriented stories and voicey moments of delight. Full-team collaborative projects tend to result in an even mix of both.
Building and maintaining relationships with people affected by city priorities as well as with those who set and execute city priorities is essential. Readers and colleagues will look to you to be the expert in many city issues.
Who we’re hiring
The successful candidate will have:
- Professional experience (7+ years) in journalism or related field highly desired.
- Experience and major responsibility for a beat, in-depth enterprise or investigations in a specific field/topic highly desired.
- Demonstrated understanding of the fundamentals of journalism and fair and accurate reporting
- Demonstrated ability to source and find stories in various different communities, and to balance daily news needs with longer-term enterprise work.
- Must understand and adhere to CPR News Ethics policy.
- Social media skills and data analysis skills are desirable.
- Radio production skills or ability to learn required.
- Familiarity with WordPress or ability to learn required.
- Able to work collaboratively, supporting colleagues from various different perspectives and experiences, and able to meet deadlines and juggle multiple tasks.
- Ability to lift and carry recording equipment (up to 10 pounds).
- A current driver’s license and/or access to reliable transportation.
What’s the pay?
The hiring range for this position is $65,000-$75,000.
How are you hiring?
Just put your cover letter — nothing stilted and overly professional, please use a casual, comfortable voice — in the body of the email. Include links to some of the work you’re proudest of, placing an emphasis on variety. Also include links to social media accounts where you’re publicly active. And, of course, attach a resume. The full job posting is here.
Why are you hiring?
One of our wonderful colleagues is moving on to a new adventure and we wish him well.
Denverite is for the curious and concerned in our ever-changing city. We’ve got reporting from local spots in all 78 Denver neighborhoods to the City and County Building, eyes on new development in Denver neighborhoods, guides to weekend fun and much more. And we send out a morning email — you should read several of these before you apply — designed to help people understand their city and find the best journalism, whether it’s ours or not, in just a few minutes each day. This is who we are.