Local newsroom Denverite, which is roommates with CPR News, is hiring a reporter to cover arts and culture with an emphasis on how Denverites can personally engage with them.
How are you hiring?
All of the official application stuff is right here – but up front, for all applicants, we’re looking for the usual materials, plus answers to two questions. Our HR team is really thorough in communicating next steps. You can read a complete job posting here or just get straight to the application here. The hiring range is $26.70/hr – $33.40/hr.
Why are you hiring?
Our previous arts and culture reporter moved out of state and we wish her well.
When are you hiring?
Ideally someone will start sometime this winter (apply now).
Who are you hiring?
Our ideal candidate will have the following qualities:
- A fast metabolism for producing stories that reflect what’s happening as well as enterprise journalism that can get conversations going about issues in their beat.
- A creative storyteller who knows when to use voice.
- Can come up with story ideas as well as respond quickly to assignments.
- A collaborator who likes to work with other reporters on projects and to better their own work.
- Able to develop a wide variety of sources from diverse communities by being present.
- Uses social media to connect with and engage audiences.
- Interested in gaining new skills (e.g. audio).
- Preferably 2 years of working experience working for a daily publication or in a newsroom. Applicable experience may include internships, fellowships, self-started media experience, and/or non-traditional experience.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively, meet deadlines, multitask and work in a fast-paced digital environment.
- Must understand the fundamentals of fair and accurate reporting.
- Must demonstrate cultural competency to report on arts and culture in different Denver-area communities.
- Ability to generate great story ideas that speak to varied, real, human experiences.
- Social media skills are preferred.
- Experience in local news, particularly with a digital news site is strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of the Denver metro area is also strongly preferred.
- A valid driver’s license and clean driving record is required.