BOULDER, Colo. (AP) — Police in Boulder are asking for the public’s help in identifying other possible victims of an ice cream shop co-owner who allegedly sexually assaulted employees over the past 15 years.
Officers have been investigating for more than a year after two single mothers reported Scott Roy sexually assaulted them while they worked for Boulder Ice Cream, police spokeswoman Shannon Cordingly said.
“The heinous part of this investigation so far has been that the victims that we believe out there are Spanish-speaking females with undocumented status,” and the only breadwinners for their families, Cordingly said.
The statute of limitations had expired on some of the more egregious complaints the women made. But Cordingly said police believe they may be other victims.
Officials say that after the women made their complaint, the company asked them for documentation to prove they could legally work in the U.S. They had to resign from their jobs on the production line. Company officials said when they became aware of the women’s work status, they accepted their resignations.
Police and Boulder County prosecutors are not concerned with the immigration status of any potential victims, Cordingly said.
Roy, 54, was arrested Thursday on allegations of unlawful sexual contact and harassment. He was released on bail.
A person who answered the door at Boulder Ice Cream on Friday declined to comment to a KMGH-TV reporter.
Officials with Boulder Ice Cream told the Daily Camera newspaper they were preparing a statement on Friday, but they had not released one. The company’s website was down on Saturday afternoon.