To help you make the most of your trips to the farmers market, we’re bringing you recipes from local chefs featuring different crops as they’re in season.
Right now, we’re right in the middle of strawberry season, which lasts from June through September.
We asked chef Britt Morris of Denver’s new(ish) gluten-free and paleo restaurant Just Be Kitchen to show us how to make her strawberry mint paleo muffins.
Strawberry Mint Paleo Muffins
Gluten free, grain free, dairy free and refined sugar-free
2 ¼ cup Almond meal or flour
¼ cup coconut flour
¼ cup tapioca flour
¼ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup coconut sugar
½ cup melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp peppermint extract
¼ cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
1 cup chopped strawberries, without stems
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a muffin tray with muffin liners.
- Combine dry ingredients into a mixing bowl.
- Add the wet ingredients into the bowl, but hold the fresh mint and strawberries. Stir well but don’t over-mix.
- Gently fold in the mint and then fold in the strawberries.
- Fill each muffin cup with batter to the top of the muffin liner. Sometimes you can take a small handful, roll into a ball and then “smush” into the muffin cup.
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
Since you’re already making breakfast, you might as well try out these asparagus fritters from Morning Collective chef Joe Strelnik.