Denver was a lock for the Winter Olympics of 1976 – until its own residents killed the dream. Let’s take a look at the Games that weren’t.
You might not want to watch 14 minutes of gloriously Colorado promotional material, so here are a few highlights:
- A cowboy and a herd of horses
- An orchestral score
- A view of a much smaller downtown Denver
- “A spirit lives here – the tradition of the West”
- Interstate 70 is a “super highway”
- The original Mile High Stadium, called “The Denver Stadium” here, would host the opening and closing ceremonies
- The University of Denver’s residential area would be the Olympic Village (with only two athletes to a room!)
- People aimlessly riding bicycles in a parking lot
- “The magic of the west”
As it ends: “We hope we’ll see you… in ’76.” Not so much.