City work crews are preparing for a summer paving program that will take them across 85 blocks.
It starts this week on Champa Street and 17th Street, covering most of the downtown area.
This is a continuation of a program that repaved about 100 blocks of downtown last year. Before that, the city hadn’t repaved downtown since 2003.
Crews also will be working in Five Points and Sun Valley this week.
It will bring a few annoyances:
- Each block will require two days of work — one to remove pavement, another to repave.
- Crews will work from 7 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. on weekdays, although they will try to avoid Colorado Rockies game days and special events.
- Access to the streets will be limited, generally forcing vehicles and bikes onto a narrower section of the road.
- Cars that remain on the block will be towed. Parking meters will be bagged in advance of the operations.
- Garages and parking lots may be blocked for brief periods.
Sidewalks will stay open.
The following streets will be milled and repaved in downtown: