Colorado couple found unresponsive in Detroit-area hotel room

AP_LOGO_02

WARREN, Mich. (AP) — Officials say the use of a heater in a Detroit-area hotel room raised carbon monoxide levels to a dangerous high, causing a couple and their dog to pass out and forcing the evacuation of the establishment.

Warren Mayor James Fouts says the couple visiting from Colorado were found unresponsive Monday at the Hawthorn Suites north of Detroit. WWJ-AM reports the couple is expected to be OK. The dog is expected to recover.

Consumers Energy spokesman Roger Morgenstern tells The Detroit News that initial carbon monoxide readings were about 400 parts per million, which could be fatal. The levels dropped by the time utility crews arrived.

The hotel’s general manager Dean Jamoua told WJBK-TV it’s not clear why the heat was on, since temperatures outside were in the 90s.

Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Hi! You’re like us!

Looks like you’re the type of person who reads to the ends of articles! Well, true believer, you might really like our morning newsletter. It’s quick, free and gets you up to speed on the important and delightful things happening right here in Denver.

Thanks for reading another Denverite story

Does Denverite help you feel more connected to what’s up in your area? Do you want to be a part of it?

Member donations are critical to our continued existence and growth.

You’re our superpower

Denverite supporters have made the decision to financially support local journalism that matters to you. Ready to tell your networks why? Sharing our “About” page with your own personal comments could really help us out.

You’re our superpower

Denverite members have made the decision to financially support local journalism that matters to you. Ready to tell your networks why? Sharing our “About” page with your own personal comments could really help us out.