Perhaps it was unfair to single Starbucks out when it comes to the proliferation of pot across our city. Poor, poor Starbucks – outnumbered two-to-one by dispensaries in our fair city, held aloft as a once-dominant force of culture crushed by weed’s omnipresence.
In the interest of equity, here are some other Denver things outnumbered by the city’s 154 pot shops.
- Breweries: There are 72 breweries and brew pubs in the city.
- Pizza: The most exhaustive Denver pizza count suggests there are only 73 distinct pizza-serving establishments.
- McDonald’s: America’s foremost burger joint has roughly 30 Denver locations.
- Subways: Did you know that there are more Subways than McDonald’s worldwide? Take a seat, world’s most popular fast-food restaurant: You’re outnumbered 3 to 1 by dispensaries here. (There are 50 Subways in Denver.)
- Pottery Barns: There are only four within 100 miles of Denver. Maybe dispensaries should start selling sofas and really put a nail in that coffin.
- State lawmakers: Colorado has 100 of them in the legislature.
- Denver Broncos: The current roster has 74 players.
- Actually, all sports-whatevers put together: Collectively, the rosters of the Rockies, Broncos, Avalanche and Nuggets hold 138 men of sport.
- Invasive species: Not counting marijuana, there are 152 invasive species that have been found in Denver county.
Naturally, the list goes on. A reporter’s work is never done and I cordially invite you to send me more that I have missed. If I find them funny or informative, I may add them.