Here’s the short version: We are hiring someone to manage and direct vision and coverage in our modern, fast-paced and entrepreneurial newsroom.
Local newsroom Denverite, now happily ensconced within Colorado Public Radio, is hiring a lead editor to push its daily news metabolism, to sharpen its approach to long-term goals and projects, to grow overall and loyal audiences, and to seek, grab and manage the unusual opportunities that arise for a newsroom that has a startup mentality and access to the resources of Colorado’s fastest growing news organization.
Candidates must be able to triage, assign and edit in breaking news situations, and know how to pick moments for something voicey, funny, pointy, observational — essentially, those unusual (but not *that* unusual) cases in which something’s worth more of a reported blog approach.
Candidates should be interested in how cities work, from city planning to legislation to neighborhood activism, and in how cities play, including arts, dining, the outdoors and more. The editor will be involved in the long-term balance and interplay of all of these things — as well as in how we work with and grow our membership to do the best job we can for the Denver metro area. Strategic thinking and an adventurous, entrepreneurial approach will be critical to long-term success in this role.
How are you hiring?
To apply, send a resume and a brief cover letter to HR@denverite.com addressing your management experience, how your voice would fit with a publication that strives to be vital, useful and delightful, and why you want to work somewhere that has local/neighborhood newspaper DNA and is attached to public radio, but is very definitely neither newspaper nor radio.
Why are you hiring?
Our current editor is moving out of state and we wish her well.
When are you hiring?
Ideally sometime in late December or January.
Who are you hiring?
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan and edit daily news coverage and enterprise coverage
- Manage a great team of journalists, optimizing for growth, happiness and an environment that produces useful and delightful coverage
- Coordinate with CPR News colleagues on coverage, including maximizing impact across multiple platforms (web, radio, social, live events)
- With CPR News digital managing editor, develop and execute on short- and long-term vision and goals for Denverite
Additionally, we are seeking:
Appreciation for the diversity of stories and people of the metro Denver area
Strong attention to detail – the editor is the last line of defense
Familiarity with email newsletter strategy and production
Ability to work in and occasionally troubleshoot WordPress, MailChimp and other services of approximately that level of complexity
2+ years of management experience
- Change/Adaptability/Flexibility: Adapts to change that benefits CPR, is open to new ideas, takes on new responsibilities, handles pressure, adjusts plans to meet changing needs.
- Communication: Communicates well both verbally and in writing, promptly shares information and ideas with others throughout the organization as appropriate, has active listening skills, can negotiate and persuade as needed.
- Results Focus/Initiative: Targets and achieves results, sets challenging goals, prioritizes tasks, overcomes obstacles, accepts accountability, sets high standards and takes responsibility, provides leadership/motivation.
- Collaboration: Working collaboratively with others to solve problems, achieve common goals and positive results. Listens to others and values opinions. Is open with other team members and expresses disagreement constructively. Seeks opportunities to work on teams as a means to develop experience and knowledge.
This position is based in the Denver metro area and requires working non-standard hours as needed.
Colorado Public Radio (Denverite’s home) is an equal opportunity employer and encourages workplace diversity.