UPDATE: The city’s planning office on April 28 said the certificate of demolition eligibility had been withdrawn by the property owner.
A historic Queen Anne-style home with white bricks and purple accents in Northeast Park Hill could end up razed after its owner applied for a certificate paving the way for its demolition.
The so called ‘certificate of demolition eligibility” for 3435 Albion St. was filed last month.
Built in 1889, it’s one of the oldest homes in the neighborhood and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2003. While it’s not a local landmark, this week the city’s planning office completed a historic review and deemed the property eligible for local landmark status.
According to city planning’s report on the 132-year-old building known as the Robinson House, the home has also previously housed two restaurants, Kate’s Restaurant and The Garden. When it was built, it was surrounded by “dairy farms and brickworks.” According to the report, the biggest concern among local residents at the time were prairie fires.
A certificate of demolition eligibility doesn’t necessarily mean a building will be demolished.
City planning spokesperson Amanda Weston said the application is a precursor for demolition. She said owners often apply for one to give themselves more time to consider what to do with a property.
A woman who asked not to be named for this story said she and her husband are under contract to purchase the property. The woman noted they plan on demolishing the property and putting something in its place, though they have not decided what will replace it.
The property owner is listed as MOJ Servicing LLC in Greenwood Village. A call to Mark Oriol, who’s listed as the registered agent for the LLC, was not immediately returned on Friday.
Weston said the public has until April 26 to either file an application for landmark status or an intent to file an application to try and preserve the property from potential demolition. The application has to be filed by at least three residents. Weston said the city hasn’t received any application as of Friday. If the city doesn’t get either, the demolition eligibility certificate will be issued on April 27.