The woman who was caught on video last year hitting a man with her car during a protest was convicted of reckless driving on Monday.
Judge Kerri Lombardi sentenced Jennifer Watson to 48 hours of community service and a fine of up to $300. Watson will also have eight points added to her driving record. The charges come after a jury found Watson not guilty of assault.
Lombardi said that, while she did not believe Watson had any ill will towards the protesters, she did not think Watson had taken full accountability for her actions.
“I hear zero remorse from you, and that’s impactful,” Lombardi said. “I haven’t heard you say you’re sorry at all — that you’re sorry for running over Max Bailey.”
Watson’s father and lawyer testified that the video did not accurately show Watson’s perspective, and maintained that she was the victim of assault and that the protester had purposefully shattered her windshield. They questioned why Max Bailey had not been charged.
“I was assaulted, and yet I have paid a huge price,” Watson said in her testimony, adding that she had felt fearful of the crowd. “I have far beyond paid my sentence.”
Lombardi acknowledged the life-altering nature of the viral videos, but said that Watson’s narrative was a minimization of her own conduct.
Ryan Brackley, Watson’s lawyer, spent most of his testimony detailing the pain Watson faced after social media began circulating videos of her. She was doxxed and harassed, eventually changing jobs and moving homes. A troll hacked the account belonging to a deceased friend and used it to send her threats.
Watson now uses a different name.