Former Colorado Avalanche player Marek Svatos died of a combined drug overdose that included codeine, morphine and the anti-anxiety medication Xanax in November.
The Douglas County Coroner’s Office on Monday released a report on Svatos’ death, which occurred Nov. 5 at his home in Lone Tree.
The report indicated that Svatos dealt with heroine addiction prior to overdosing and had underwent drug rehabilitation.
Svatos, who was from Kosice, Slovakia, played for the Avalanche from 2003-10. He dealt with a variety of injuries in his time with Colorado and never appeared in more than 32 regular-season games with the club.
He was 34 years old.
Subscribe to Denverite’s weekly sports newsletter here.