The Colfax Marathon is Sunday. Here’s what to know about traffic disruptions
Good luck to everyone racing.
If, like me, you are a mere mortal whose sole plans for this Sunday involve eating a bagel, beware of detours and road closures due to the Colfax Marathon.
From 6 a.m. to 2 p.m. Sunday, here are the altered Regional Transportation District (RTD) routes:
- The D and H lines will not stop at Colfax at Auraria station through the downtown loop
- The D and H lines will detour to stations at Auraria West, Empower Field at Mile High, Ball Arena, Elitch Gardens and Union Station
- The L line will not run (RTD suggests the 43 bus instead)
- These bus routes will have detours: 0, 1, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 15L, 16, 19, 20, 24, 28, 30, 38, 43, 44, 48, 51, 52, 76, 83L
- On Saturday, routes 20 and 24 will have minor detours from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
RTD also said riders should expect delays. And on Sunday, RTD says it’s accepting race bibs as a form of fare payment on the W, 15, 15L and 16, from 6 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Drivers, pedestrians and cyclists will not be able to cross the course, pictured below in blue, while the race is taking place. Road closures start at 6 a.m., and will open on a rolling bases once the final runner passes through each area.
Here are the road closures to expect Sunday, according to a press release from the marathon organizers:
- York St. between Colfax Ave. and 23rd Ave. from 5:45 am to 8 am
- 23rd Ave. between York St. and Colorado Blvd. from 5:45 am to 8:15 am
- 17th Ave. from Detroit St. to York St. from 6:00 am to 10 am.
- Westbound Colfax Ave. from Elizabeth St. to Speer Blvd. from 5:45am to 10am.
- Westbound Colfax Ave. from I-25 to Garrison St. in Lakewood from 7:00 am to 12 pm
- Raleigh St. from westbound Colfax Ave. to 17th Ave. from 7:00am to 9:30am
- Lawrence St. from Speer Blvd. to 17th St. from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm
- 17th St. to 17th Ave. from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm
- 17th Ave. to Vine St. from 7:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Vine St. from 17th Ave. to 22nd Ave. southbound from 7:00 am to 1:30pm.
- At least one lane for southbound vehicles on 22nd Ave. from 7:00 am to 1:30 pm
- At least one lane on 22nd. Ave. from Vine St. to Gaylord St. from 7 am to 1:30 pm
- Gaylord St. from 22nd Ave. to 21st Ave. from 7:00 am to 1:45 pm.
Most importantly: if you’re running the marathon, good luck!